Friday, February 4, 2011

Kayak Cart

If you can’t drive close to your launch and you don’t want to carry your boat the whole way, you might find yourself in want of a kayak cart.  
Properly balanced a kid can pick it up.
Kayak carts are a device you set your kayak on top of, strap it down, and pull it on wheels to your destination, like a kid with a little red wagon.  The average sit-inside plastic kayak’s weight starts at 50 lbs and the sit-on-top at 60 lbs. Add in your pdf, paddle, lunch and miscellaneous gear and you have one awkward stagger from the truck to the water.  
Scrap metal and purchased wheels.
When I started shopping for a cart, I was shocked at how much they cost.  Most of the time I don’t need a cart as I can drive right to the launch, so paying $100 to $200 dollars for an item of limited use was not in my budget.  Being cheap is the start of most do-it-yourself (DIY) projects.
DIY Kayak Cart
I made most of my cart from some scrap metal I had around the shop buying only the wheels from harbor freight.  The cart cost me around $10 out of pocket and an hour or two of time.
 Ready to roll.
Happy trails and happy paddling!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Dick used to use old luggage carts and strap them to one end, but this looks better. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete